I figured there would be some crazy going on with this book based on the description, and was honestly looking forward to it, but even I had a few moments of WTH going on because boy howdy is there some crazy going on here. But that crazy had me turning the pages to find out what was going on and to see how everything would be resolved.
Xander is a loner and a self proclaimed asshole, but when you are able to hear people’s thoughts and unable to control it, it’s understandable. I honestly liked Xander. He may not have been the most likeable of people at times, but there was an honesty about him that I liked. Isleen I liked as well. She’s been living in purgatory for a long time, but despite all the suffering she’s been through there is a light and strength to her that can’t be denied.
Their relationship is an interesting one and though things progress quickly it makes sense because of the connection that they have. Outside of the big, bad that kept Isleen in purgatory all those years wanting her, there are a few bumps in their road that pop up. One I’d already figured would be an issue, the other...well that one didn’t really work for me because it just felt sudden. But regardless Isleen and Xander together just worked.
It’s times like these where doing a spoiler free review is extremely difficult, but while the crazy going on had me wondering what the hell I’d gotten myself into (yes, there are some pretty heavy triggers in this one), it was pretty fascinating to watch as everything unfolded and to see how the secondary storylines were woven into the main one. And I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what Ms. Roads has in store for us in the next book, Hunt the Dawn.
~ ARC received from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ~
First in a gripping paranormal romantic suspense duo by a Golden Heart finalist debut author whose clinical work gives her chilling insights...
Cursed with a terrible gift...
Criminal investigator Xander Stone doesn't have to question you—he can hear your thoughts. Scarred by lightning, burdened with a power that gives him no peace, Xander struggles to maintain his sanity against the voice that haunts him day and night—the voice of a woman begging him to save her.
A gift that threatens to engulf them...
Isleen Walker has long since given up hope of escape from the nightmare of captivity and torture that is draining her life, her mind, and her soul. Except...there is the man in her feverish dreams, the strangely beautiful man who beckons her to freedom and wholeness. And when he comes, if he comes, it will take all their combined fury and faith to overcome a madman bent on fulfilling a deadly prophecy
Seven Things about Abbie Roads:
1. She loves Snicker Parfaits. Gotta start with what’s most important, right?
2. She writes dark emotional books featuring damaged characters, but always gives her hero and heroine a happy ending… after torturing them for three hundred pages.
3. By day she’s a mental health counselor known for her blunt, honest style of therapy. At night she burns up the keyboard. Well… Burn might be too strong a word. She at least sits with her hands poised over the keyboard, waiting for inspiration to strike. And when it does—the keyboard might get a little warm.
4. She can’t stand it when people drive slowly in the passing lane. Just saying. That’s major annoying. Right?
5. She loves taking pictures of things she thinks are pretty.
6. She’s represented by Michelle Grajkowski of 3 Seas Literary.
7. Her first book will be out October 2016 through Sourcebooks.